Implementing Home-Based Care Option for COVID-19 Patients In Kano State

 Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Nigeria has been managing confirmed cases in government-designated hospital-based isolation/treatment centres to ensure recovery of cases as well as to prevent community transmission. As the pandemic has evolved, there is an increasing number of people who are asymptomatic or present with mild symptoms. To reduce the pressure on […]

Dealing with Waste Evacuation in FCT COVID-19 Response

By Eric Ojo According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), about 85% of the total amount of waste generated by health care activities is general, non-hazardous waste. The remaining 15% is considered hazardous material that could be infectious, toxic or radioactive. Hazardous waste that is not managed properly presents a risk to hospital patients, health […]

In The Midst of Rumors: Kano State’s Response at the Onset of COVID-19 Pandemic

In response to the World Health Organisation (WHO) declaration of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEOIC) in January 2020, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) organised a 2-day simulation exercise for states on the outbreak response in Abuja.  On February 27, 2020, the first day of the […]